Falling into September.

 I always have such good intentions for the future of my blogging at the end of my last blog post. . And then. . 

But, I made it back and that’s what counts!

We never made our cycling trip around the Okanagan due to real bad forest fires in the province, that and lots of Covid outbreaks in the region. We instead got more camping, a wee trip to Tigh Na Nara and a staycation in Nanaimo. I actually went to Nanaimo for a Suicide Intervention course, which even though it was tough work, I believe its great knowledge to have.

September was a big Anniversary month for me. 10 years ago this month I stepped off the plane from Scotland and 7 years ago this month, I was hospitalized under the Mental Health Act. Seems like such a long and short space of time since both these things happened. And then I reflect on that time and think WOWxeroni. Just how?

On the 7 years in recovery note, I met with my old psychiatrist and it was so cool to chat as a worker and not as a patient. Well that’s a bit of a lie, I was a volunteer patient for the UBC students, but I got to have a nice chat with him outside the official interview.

I think that interview took more out of me than I’d care to admit. I visibly went on a bit of a rollercoaster in the week following - there were a few other factors are play, but it was quite the time. I had my first panic attack in almost 3 years. You know, i could get down about it, but I’m not going to. I practised things in that moment that I never had the insight or education to do before. It took a while, but I recovered. Progress. 

AND, because every low can be met with a high, I took part in a podcast for the first time recently! There is a wonderful project in Victoria, spearheaded by the equally amazing Emily Olsen, called The Connection Project. We met a few times and sparks were just flying, so I was so thrilled when she asked me to chat with her on her podcast. You can listen to it here. We are also planning to have a little write up about myself and Positive Relations Media in the upcoming event program.

In the biggest piece of news from the past while. . . Drum roll. . . We have cancelled the big wedding and we are eloping. It made so much more sense having not seen our parents now for a couple of years. I am truly looking forward to a small intimate day and a chance to make these memories in such an uncertain time. We plan on using next summer to honeymoon and spend more personal time with all of our friends and family. 

You’re pretty caught up now. . Well except to tell you I got invited to interview for a Disney cruise ship, but that dream will most def have to wait a bit longer. My future is being shaped by Peer Support, advocacy and self development. One day, Mickey, my friend.

Much love xo


No comments:

Post a Comment