First Nations Perspective on Health and Wellness

Recently in my Health & Wellness Potential class we have been discussing perspectives and models of wellness. I came across the First Nations Perspective on Health and Wellness, and I find it to be a really interesting and holistic approach to wellness.


  • The inner circle represents the human beings responsibility for their own health and wellness - it begins with us.
  • The second circle illustrates the importance of Mental, Emotional, Spiritual and Physical facets of a healthy, well, and balanced life. It is critically important that there is balance between these aspects of wellness and that they are all nurtured together to create a holistic level of well-being in which all four areas are strong and healthy. 
  • The third circle represents values that support wellness, these are: Respect, Wisdom, Responsibility & Relationships. 
  • The fourth circle depicts the people that surround us and the places from which we come. Nations, Family, Community and Land are crucial components of our healthy experience.
  • The fifth and final circle represents the Social, Cultural, Economic and Environmental aspects of our health and well-being.

I found this to be a great and cohesive way to look at wellness. I really can learn a lot from this model, and hope to use it in my self care strategies. Taking responsibility is the very first step and I can safely say I am trying to do just that. Finding balance within mental, emotional, spiritual and physical aspects of my life is a task to say the least. I am currently working on an exercise and nutrition plan, tracking my food, physical activity, alcohol and cigarette intake. It's giving me a clear view of my habits and allowing me to tweak where necessary. I've set myself goals in these area's, so hopefully sometime soon I will get to habits I am happy with. I feel that my emotional and mental states are somewhat balanced - with the help of meds haha, but still. That just leaves the spiritual side of things, something I am intrigued to pursue. I have held off on anything spiritual mostly because my psychosis had a strong religious theme, and I am admittedly scared of dabbling too much, but I think its time. I definitely believe in a higher power I just have to educate myself in different faiths and religions and focus my values. Easy right?  

There are many more aspects to look at in health and wellness, but for now I think I am on the right track.

Love xo

2 comments:

  1. This is a pretty great post. I've been thinking of starting a blog on this subject myself. Any tips or anything you would recommend me to avoid. https://aiclegal.org/phallosan-forte-review/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! chiropractor

    ReplyDelete